After many successful years of operation, we are delighted to be able to again offer this very special and unique tour to one of the most exciting and picturesque regions of Australia. The Murray River, at over 1600 miles long, is Australia’s largest river and has played a major role in the settlement and development of inland parts of Australia. Mark Twain compared it favourably with the mighty Mississippi when he visited in the 19th century and the river was once a bustling highway with many paddle steamers plying its length carrying produce and people to and from the settlements along its banks. Those days are long gone, but the river region is still a hive of activity and interest with lush farmland, orchards and vineyards contrasting with the red outback at their doorstep.
The itinerary will show you the Murray region as we spend 5 days cruising downstream on our charter vessel, stopping at points of interest en route and overnighting at country hotels and motor inns at the settlements along the river. The cruise vessel for the 2017 tour will again be the modern and fully equipped “Spirit of the Murray” with its spacious upper deck providing the perfect vantage point as the boat passes towering cliffs, sleepy lagoons and Red Gum forests. Add to this, the beauty and grandeur of the Great Ocean Road between Adelaide and Melbourne, the wonderful wine growing region of South Australia, close to the picturesque city of Adelaide and the excitement and vitality (and wonderful shopping) of Melbourne and you have a great tour waiting for you.
Highlights Include Melbourne – city of parks and gardens
- Melbourne – city of parks and gardens
- Sovereign Hill Historic Village, Ballarat
- Echuca, with guided tour of the river port
- Mildura gateway to the Murray River
- 5 days / 4 nights cruising the Murray River
downstream on the “Spirit of the Murray”
- Adelaide, the wine capital of Australia
- Great Ocean Road between Adelaide and
- “Spirit of Coorong” eco-cruise on Lake
- Naracoorte with visit to the World Heritage
- Penola & St Mary McKillop Centre
- Warrnambool & Lorne overnight spent at
these coastal towns.